As we sit here having feasted upon one (or two) too many mince pies, and praying that someone else will come and finish off the box of Quality Streets that is sitting here staring at us tauntingly, we thought it might be a nice idea to do our ‘top 10 moments of 2012′ – its been such an amazing year! We didn’t really realise just how quickly and smoothly this whole thing has come together – but this time last year the band was just a glint in an eye… we had been writing, but we hadn’t even had a rehearsal playing the songs yet! It been a bit of a whirlwind really…
Here we go, counting down from 10….in no particular order really but just because its fun to be dramatic…
10. London Rocks – June - this was our first ever live performance, and it was one of London’s top charity events, London Rocks. We performed ‘Happy’ as part of the main concert, and it went down really well! AND…Sera got snapped by the paps and featured in OK magazine A very proud moment, hehe
9. Various fantastic interviews (I’m cheating and going to put these into one!)-
US Jammin Jukebox interview – October : We’ve never been to the US but would love to go, and when we got approached by Dawn about doing a Skype interview we were really excited! We had to stay up til midnight to do it, because of the time difference – and, lets be honest, we had a glass or two of wine while we waited. Perhaps a bit of a mistake but we think it was the best interview we’d ever done to date, because we were so much more relaxed. It was an hour long interview and it was hilarious – some great banter and funny moments. We love Dawn, she’s been so supportive of us. Apparently the interview had over 3600 downloads just in the first 8 hours or so that it went out! You can hear the interview here
Under the radar with David Durant -November - David has been an amazing support to us – we’ve gained more fans from his radio show than anything else we have done. Doing the ‘Under the radar’ session was amazing fun – we had such a giggle and its great to do a radio show which is solely dedicated to up and coming music, and the listeners are all so passionate about it too. David is like the angel of unsigned music
Listen to the whole session and see more pics etc here
Eagle radio interviews – we’ve done a few at Eagle this year and the EP review was our favourite with Stuart Provan. It was lovely to be able to talk in depth about what each song was about and how we wrote them etc! Check it out here
8. Guilfest – July – believe it or not, this was our first proper gig as Unsung Lilly (playing a full set anyway!) and we were on the second stage, alongside bands like ABC and heaven 17. The gig was great fun, and we also had a great time hanging around later that day watching some other amazing acts, including Alex Louise, Jools Holland and The Straights (Dire Straights without Mark Knopfler) – which we got far too excited about!
7. Norwich Music Takeover and gig at Epic Studios – November - We did a full on day of performing around the streets of Norwich, being followed by local students who filmed and photographed us. It was great fun! We then went to Epic TV Studios and performed in the evening – which was just AMAZING! By far, one of the best venues we have ever been to! When it was over we were all a little sad and just wanted to do it again! The live footage should be with you in the new year, but below is our video blog from earlier in the day!
6. Weyfest (on the eagle radio stage) – September - We did this gig right at the end of our EP recording week, and because of that it just felt really good to be playing together. It was a really great, tight gig, and also we could really see in people’s faces how they were reacting to our music. It was lovely to see people who had been walking past, take a divert to come and listen and end up staying for the whole gig. We were voted best band of that stage which was also a real honour! It was great to get to know the guys from the Eagle too, they have become great friends!
5. The ‘Time Changes Minds’ EP Launch – October - We launched our EP at top music venue The Bedford, and it was a brilliant evening! We packed the place out and also streamed world-wide live! It was a great feeling Here’s a bit of live footage from the day from our lovely videographer Phil (there’s LOADS more online!)
4. Video shoot for ‘Happy’ – December - Ok, so some of you may have seen the hilarious behind the scenes video for this – what a day it was! (see below) It was shot in an old saxon church, which had no heating. Its safe to say its the coldest any of us have ever been. We all handled it well though…basically, by jumping around and dancing for about 10 hour straight… so funny. And the video is fab because of it
3. Recording our EP – September - this was an amazing week where we all stayed in a live-in studio – so not only were we making music together but we were completely living together, for the whole week. You’d think this would get a bit much at times but not at all – we had such a brilliant week and as you can imagine it was the start of a billion private jokes and a time that we really bonded. Not only did we record our EP, but there was all sorts of other unforgettable moments – a drunken dance-off that Allan and Sera won (Ok, that bit is still in discussion but as far as I’m (Sera) concerned we wiped the floor with them!), Sera and Frankie developed a new exercise regime which we plan to launch to the world once we have achieved international fame (‘Lilly-fit’ hehe), and we taught our good friend and photographer Matt Pereira how to play ‘Lets get it on’ (Marvin Gaye) on guitar and had a 45minute jam with him on that one song. It was a week we will never forget and we’re so glad that we have the EP to always remind us of it! Buy the EP here
2. Belfast Pride Gig/Weekend – August - This was just such an amazing experience! We played to 7000 in the square in front of us, and another 18000+ people who were watching around the City on big screens – and even though we were an unknown band in Belfast, everyone welcomed us and was so accepting of our music! It went down a storm! And the whole weekend was just brilliant – hanging out with some great friends, and making lots of new ones. We loved it!
1. Getting to make music with people that we LOVE. There’s nothing quite like it. Its been amazing! There was a moment where we were doing an interview for our Rockumentary (which will be posted in the new year) where we all got a little bit soppy. Russ was saying in the interview about how he met a really famous rock star musician years ago, and this guy had said to Russ about finding that ‘one person’ that you play music with and its just magical, everything just works – and this guy said that he’d found that once, years ago, in just one person, and sadly he never found it again – and he said if you ever find that in anyone, you should hold onto it because you are very lucky. When Russ was telling us this story, it was a lovely moment that made us all realise – we have all found that in each of us and thats really rare – and that is the magic ingredient that fuels everything that we do.
Sooooo… thanks for a brilliant year! And here’s to an amazing 2013 – we can’t wait!
Big thanks to everyone who has helped us this year – we love you guys
Happy New Year